Thursday 28 August 2014

Fight for your rights

The dharnas for the last couple of weeks resulting in the new confessions of election rigging emerging from various quarters reminds me of what an old school friend of mine used to say. She studied with me for just one year -- in class seven -- and hailed from South Africa. Her cousins had been hanged during apartheid and she was mature way beyond her years. When she was leaving I asked her to write in my autograph book as was the norm those days, and she wrote 'Shanaz, in life always remember: Fight for your RIGHTS!' I never really understood what she meant as my sisters and I had grown up in such a protected environ where everything was handed to us on a platter, that the question of having to fight for our rights had never arisen.
In fact, I sailed through the major part of my life without ever having to fight for my rights -- perhaps until I joined the professional world, when it finally dawned on me that every good thing in life doesn't come easy, and it is important to assert oneself in order to get, or at least create an awareness, of what is one's due.
But, coming to the two rallies, and especially that of PTI's -- they have really reinforced the importance of fighting for one's rights. Whether Imran emerges victorious or not after this valiant battle, one thing is for sure. He believed he had been wronged, and he had the courage to fight for his rights -- as did his supporters.I feel our country is better for this entire exercise and our silent majority has also finally woken up from its slumber and learnt to have a voice. This can only bode well for the future.

No comments: